How the US sanctions and isolates companies and governments: the Entity List
Sichuan University (Wikipedia)
The US's Entity List contains the names of companies, research institutes, individuals and others that the US considers a risk to its economic or national security.
Listed companies are blocked from buying, selling, or lisencing goods or services from American firms. They're also blocked from buying or lisencing anything that contain American-made goods, no matter where it comes from.
Chinese entities include:
- AI startups that specialize in facial and voice recognition, like Hikvision, Megvii, SenseTime and IFLYTEK
- Huawei, the smartphone and telecommunications company
- Supercomputer makers like Sugon and The National Supercomputer Centers in Changsha, Guangzhou and Tianjin
- Sichuan University in Chengdu
- Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics
China's giant, data-rich population and government-run economy make it a unique competitor in the global AI development race.
China's social credit system
China is building a system to give its citizens access to mortgages and car loans, and to punish those who break the rules.